Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ski Kinosoo Ridge

Went skiing at a ski area about 10 klicks east (I think) of Cold Lake. It is called Kinosoo Ridge and it is spread over a series of hills at Frenchman's Bay on Cold Lake. There were very few skiers, even though a Canadian F-18 pilot we met said it was as busy as he had every seen it, and he and his son had season passes.
This a view up the main hill from the parking area. Notice the snow banks are higher than the top of the cab of the truck on the left.
Anyway none of the runs were very high, although they had a few runs labeled "Black Diamond" and since I was so rusty, I did not try any of those. Maybe next time.
I didn't fall until the last ride up the lift of the day. I fell going uphill on a cross-country part (there were a lot of areas where there was no way to generate enough speed to get up on hill or past a flat part, I think this is probably typical of ridge ski areas) onto my right side. Caught my ski pole under me and couldn't get up. I felt like a turtle on its back. After I had finally gotten the pole out from under me, a nice man and his son came by and the man gave me a hand up.
We skied for about 3 and a half hours all told, short lift lines meant lots of runs so after a few more pictures I am going to go soak in the tub.
This is the bottom of most of the runs I took. The orange fenced area to the left is a children's play area. Most of the children I saw, even 2 years old or so, were skiing or snow blading (I don't really know what this is), although some of them were wearing leashes that their parents were holding.

Here's the hardest trail I skied today. No, not the black diamond to the left, the blue square to the right. Notice that to get to the Black Diamond run you had to go even further uphill and this is where my momentum stopped and just about everyone else I saw there.
It is also the place where I fell. You had to go up hill to get to this point so one of the times I just stopped where I ran out of momentum and took this picture. When I fell I was using my poles to try to keep going and I crossed my skis when I had almost no speed and *plop* over on my side I went!

No comments: