Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Frozen Waves

Here's another phenomena that has proven difficult to capture.

Primrose Lake is frozen solid, I am told reliably that that means a 4 foot thick ice layer covers the lake. The only exception is where the First Nations have drilled holes for ice fishing, which they did Saturday or Sunday. But I didn't have time to get a picture of that.

However, on top of the ice is another layer, also 4 foot thick or so, of snow. Most of it loosely packed and very powdery. I've already posted pictures of the sparkly snow here, so I think you probably have a picture of the loose, powdery snow. If not scroll down a couple of pictures.

Well, when you get a good wind that powder snow piles up in drifts on the land and, as I never suspected, also on the lake. So when you look at the lake you see these piles of snow, which look from the distance like small white-caps and so it looks like waves were frozen into the lake. As I said this is very hard to capture with my camera and photographic skills, but here is my best shot so far.
The brown vegetation marks the original bank of the lake. And you may have to squint, but take my word it is very impressive to see in person. I wonder if TaraEliz sees this on Lake Champlain near her home.

No comments: